Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
At University Hospital, we strongly believe in health equity for all, which is how we create a community that is stronger, healthier, and more just. This is why we make this pledge.
We believe that delivering exceptional care requires us to identify and not tolerate any form of racism, bias and hate, and join forces against them. Each of us has a moral responsibility to stand against bias and hate in all its forms, to be self-aware upstanders, and to make equitable choices daily in a safe and brave space. Our work remains focused on our core values of stewardship, teamwork, integrity, respect, and reliability.
Our pledge is:
- We stand against racism, bias, and hate.
- We treat all people with respect. We value each other’s differences. We care for each other through kindness and an understanding that life is precious.
- We recognize our own implicit biases and actively seek, listen, and respond to feedback from others as part of our personal growth and development. When confronted with racism, we always take action to speak out against it.
- We advocate for high-quality, equitable health care as a human right, and we dedicate ourselves to overcoming the painful separations that divide us.
- We are guided by science and know that excellent research and health care cannot happen without equity. To deliver the most effective care, we must ensure equitable access to treatments and care, so that every individual can achieve optimal health.
- We commit to educating ourselves and the next generations of health care, science, and technology professionals to acknowledge, counter, and ultimately eliminate racism and racial inequities.
- We use our expertise to study the impact of racial injustice on health outcomes. We reduce health disparities by actively engaging members of diverse populations to guide and lead our research. We commit to translating that research into practice, sharing what we learn as we encourage other institutions to do the same.
- We are committed to standing for values and actions that promote health and healthy communities for all. We partner with our community for the public good, including education, job training, affordable housing, food security, and access to health care.
In summary, we will not tolerate racism, hatred and intolerance at University Hospital. We commit to an unwavering collective stance against systemic racism and injustice. We recognize this is a journey and will continue to challenge ourselves to lead change. We make this pledge for the advancement of health, the good of community, for our patients, families, staff, volunteers, student liaisons, and anchor organizations partners. Health care is more than a job-it is a calling. In answering that call, University Hospital values you and is dedicated to advancing the health of everyone; our Core Values drive commitment.
Click the menu to the right for more on our efforts regarding diversity, equity and inclusion.