Emergency Medicine Research Associate Internship
THE RA PROGRAM HAS A MANDATORY COVID-19 VACCINE REQUIREMENT
The Research Associates internship program is a clinical research assistant (RA) program in the Emergency Department of the University Hospital. RAs will assist the ED staff in ongoing research and quality improvement projects to improve the quality and safety of care provided to their patients. Each research project focuses on a different aspect of patient care and may include clinical trials, patient and physician survey studies, observational studies, and practice-pattern studies. RAs work in our ED with the clinical staff (physicians, nurses, pharmacists). RAs identify patients and processes that may fit the requirements of a particular project. Once these patients are identified, the RA completes the patient consent process, executes survey questions, collects data from physicians and/or medical charts, and informs physicians of the study eligibility. Specific details of the role are explained in our orientation sessions.
Summer 2019 Class Profile:
- 10% of the total applicants were interviewed
- 50% of those interviewed were accepted
- A total of 304 students applied for 15 spots
Fall 2019 Class Profile:
- 20% of the total applicants were interviewed
- 80% of those interviewed were accepted
- A total of 95 students applied for 11 spots
- Rutgers-New Jersey Medical School and Rutgers-School of Graduate Studies students hold the majority of this incoming class
- 30% of the Students are Graduate Students pursuing either an MS or PhD Degree, the highest percentage of graduate incoming students in the history of the program.
Of the students Accepted so far:
- 10% are College Graduates (Hold a Bachelors or equivalent degree)
- 10% are residents of Newark
- 30% are from an undeserved area not limited to Newark (Paterson, The Oranges, etc)
- 75% had a GPA of 3.5 or above
- 90% have a GPA of 3.3 or above
- 100% of had prior experience in academic and clinical research, Shadowing, and Hospital Volunteering
- On average 1 out of every 5 students accepted either had a paper published, or has a paper under review
- 100% have taken General Biology and General Chemistry with labs in addition to a Math and English course.
- 80% of them have all their pre-health requirements completed
- 20% of our RAs previously served or continue to serve as an “At Your Service Intern”
- 80% have remained in the program
Schools Represented among by those accepted:
Columbia University, Cornell University, CUNY Hunter College, John Jay College of Criminal Justice, Montclair State University, New Jersey Institute of Technology, Penn State University, Rutgers University-Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy, Rutgers University-New Brunswick, Rutgers University-Newark, Rutgers University-New Jersey Medical School, University of Houston, and Vanderbilt University.
- 30 College Credits, IB and AP accepted on a case-by-case basis
- A year of college-experience
- Students need to have taken, at least 3 credits of Math, 6 Credits of English, and 6-8 credits of science
- Students need to submit vaccinations, PPD, and background paperwork immediately after being accepted.
- Students must submit a Letter of Recommendation via the Application using the upload feature. of the Google Form.
- Students also need to submit a Letter of Endorsement from their adviser. The adviser can be their pre-health adviser or their major adviser. The letter must be uploaded via the online Application using the upload feature of the google form.
- The Application is on the Website but the link can also be found here https://goo.gl/forms/SI5bVbt9nWdOikp72
- The application is available for students to view but be warned students applying outside the dates listed below will not be viewed please read and be cautious
As of August 2021: We no longer offer rolling admissions and instead have a Spring and Fall semester cut-off date.
The application for Spring and Summer of 2022 will open December 1st until December 29th 2021. It will close on the 29th and reopen in May 2022 for the Fall and Winter of 2022. In may of 2022 it will open May 1st and close May 29th. Rejected applicants will not be notified due to volume of applications.
Regarding the interview:
- Due to Covid-19 we will conduct interviews via Skype, Phone, or any method that is acceptable.
- We require research associates to be vaccinated
All questions can be referred to:
Chief of Research Associates,
University Hospital of Newark
You must include a subject for all emails. Emails without a subject may not be read.