Certification Standards, Classifications and Requirements
Validation and posting of a supplier's diverse status is required for participation in the University Hospital's Supplier Diversity effort. Certification documents from the following qualified agencies are acceptable:
Small Business NJ Set–Aside Program
National Minority Supplier Development Council (NMSDC)
Women's Business Enterprise National Council (WBENC)
What type of business does University Hospital consider as a "diverse supplier"?
Small Business NJ Set–Aside Program: A business comprised of 100 employees or fewer, and whose principal place of business is located in New Jersey. The criteria for women and minority-owned businesses also apply.
Minority-Owned Business (includes MBE certified suppliers): A for-profit enterprise, regardless of size, physically in the U.S. with at least 51% owned by one or more minority members. Minority members may be:
- African-American: origins in any of the black racial groups of Africa.
- Hispanic-American: true-born Hispanic heritage, from any Spanish-speaking areas of Latin America or Mexico, Central America, South America and the Caribbean basin.
- Native American: American Indian, Eskimo, Aleut or Native Hawaiian.
- Asian-Pacific American: origins from Japan, China, Taiwan, Korea, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Philippines, Samoa, Guam, the U.S. Trust Territories of the Pacific, or the Northern Marianas.
- Asian-Indian American: origins from India, Pakistan, and Bangladesh.
Women-Owned Business (WBE certified): A for-profit enterprise, regardless of size, with at least 51% owned by one or more women who are U.S. citizens.
Small Disadvantaged Business (SDB/SBA certified): A for-profit business with at least 51% owned by one or more individuals who are both socially and economically disadvantaged. Firms that receive 8A certification automatically qualify as an SDB.
If you are not certified and wish to become certified you can contact:
- New Jersey Set-Aside Program-NJ Department of Treasury at (609) 292-2146, http://www.state.nj.us/njbusiness/contracting/services/
- NYNJ Minority Supplier Development Council at (212) 502-5663, http://www.nynjmsdc.org (Regional office of NMSDC)
- U.S. Small Business Administration at (973) 645-2434 http://www.SBA.gov/NJ
- Women Presidents Educational Organization NYNJ at (212) 688-4114, http://www.womenpresidentsorg.com (Regional office of WBENC)
Why University Hospital does business with Small-, Minority-, Women- and Veteran-owned businesses?
- They provide valuable and competitive products and services.
- Utilization of diverse firms contribute to the overall growth of local, regional and national communities.
- Diverse suppliers are representative of our customer base.
For Additional Information on our Supplier Diversity Program contact: