One Goal. One Passion. Every Patient. Every Time.

Health Information Management (Medical Records)

Frequently Asked Questions


  1. Q: How can I get a copy of my medical record?
    Print the authorization form in English or en Espanol and submit it to the Health Information Management (Medical Records) department by mail.

  2. Q: Can I get a copy of my spouse, child, parent or family member’s medical record?
    A: Only if the individual gives you written authorization or if you possess Power of Attorney over healthcare with proper documentation.

  3. Q: What are the fees for obtaining a copy of a medical record?
    There is no charge if the copy is to be mailed to a doctor’s office or a health care facility, however, the following fees apply for personal copies: • $10 processing fee (one-time fee per request) • $1 per page for the first 100 pages (fee per admission/encounter) • $0.25 per page for an additional 200 pages (fee per admission/encounter)

  4. Q: How can I get a copy of a birth certificate?
    One can be obtained from the Vital Statistics Department of the city in which you were born. If you were born in Newark, click here.

  5. Q: How can I get a copy of a death certificate?
    If a recent death, can be obtained from the funeral home. Otherwise, contact City Hall, Vital Statistics.

  6. Q: What information is required to obtain the medical record of a deceased person?
    A legal document stating next of kin or executor of estate is required. Only the next of kin may obtain a copy of the medical record.

  7. Q: Can I request medical records by e-mail and/or receive copies via e-mail?
    No; University Hospital needs authorization with original signature.

  8. Q: How do I get copies of x-ray films?
    The Radiology Department releases x-ray films. Please call 973-972-4907 for this request. For MRI films, call 973-972-5178.

  9. Q: How can I get a copy of my hospital bill?
    A: The Patient Accounts Department releases hospital bills. Please call 973-972-9946 or 973-972-3004 for this request.

  10. Q: How long will it take to receive a copy of my medical record?
    New Jersey State law allows 30 days to respond to a request for medical records.

  11. Q: Does University Hospital accept requests over the fax, or send medical records via fax?
    Yes, but this is limited to only doctors or other hospitals in an emergency.

  12. Q: How do I get a copy of an administrator/executor or surrogate letter?
    Via the court Surrogates office.

  13. Q: I sent in A Power of Attorney document, why can’t I receive records?
    A: The Power of attorney has to indicate that the person is appointed to obtain medical records and manage health issues, not just personal finances.

  14. Q: I need a physician statement form to be completed for insurance or for a social security/disability claim. Will Medical Records complete this for me?
    No, these forms must be completed by a doctor. The Health Information Management (Medical Records) department is only able to provide copies of records.

  15. Q: How do I get medical records from the former United Hospital?
    They were taken over by Newark Beth Israel Medical Center. Please contact 973-926-7125 or 973-926-7409.

  16. Q: I think medical records from another hospital were sent to University Hospital to go in my record. How can I get copies of the records from the other hospital?
    University Hospital does not re-release records from another hospital. Requests for records that were not generated at University Hospital must be addressed to the other hospital directly.

  17. Q: I think something is incorrect in my medical records and I want it corrected. What do I do?
    A “Request for Amendment of Health Information” form needs to be completed. The request will be reviewed by th UH Compliance office.

  18. Q: I don’t want copies of my records. I only need a form listing the dates I was in the hospital. Where can I get this?
    The Health Information Management (Medical Records) department will complete a “certificate of proof of hospitalization” form that identifies dates of service.